Monday, August 17, 2009

English Premier League Overview: Underdogs Maybe?

Before I begin on my post today, I would like to apologize to my audience for not having a post for about 3 days... I just moved back to campus and because we were all unprepared for the fact that my room is smaller than every other room here, it's taken a little bit of time to rearrange the place and set our things up. And let's not forget, I'm a college student, and so the weekend was host to a few late night excursions on the town... Nonetheless, I'm back here and it might not be every day, but I will try my best not to go past 3 days.

Back to what we love...

So I thought it was rather funny that when I was looking at Sky Sports' expectations for particular games over the weekend, they were so wrong in their predictions, that I HAD to write about it.

I may not be an Arsenal fan, but I was actually appalled that they chose Arsenal to draw 1-1 with Everton on Saturday August 15th. The ACTUAL result however was a 6-1 thrashing by Arsenal.


Liverpool was the favorite to win 2-1 in the Liverpool/Tottenham match, especially considering their 3-1 win against Tottenham at the end of the previous season and the fact that Tottenham has failed to win many of their past opening matches. Tottenham outplayed Liverpool though, beating them 2-1, and only allowing the one goal because of a penalty kick made by Stephen Gerrard.


Manchester United played Birmingham on the 16th for their first match after winning it all last season. Sky Sports predicted a 3-0 victory for Man U. Even though Manchester United pulled off a usual win on Sunday, they only won 1-0, and had Birmingham actually capitalized on the chances they had at the net, they could have scored a couple goals or two and completely throw f the standings for the first day of the season.


Basically, Sky Sports needs to recheck itself - granted it was the opening week for the EPL, and they were basing their predictions off of the results from last season, but maybe when we all make predictions, let's not always choose the obvious answer...


Notes...

In other news, Marc Bulger - injured again. Like for real though, why can't football players just keep their fingers and toes in check? Everybody ends up breaking off their index fingers, middle fingers, or big toes, or pinkie toes... YES YOU T.O. TOO! Come on now! I feel like all football players (and players in other sports should follow suit) should wear a metal glove when their outside of the football field so that they can actually be productive on the field. Marc Bulger may just need to be in a bubble - It's no mystery why the Rams have been one of the worst teams in the NFL for the past few years...


Sorry O's fans, but they traded Aubrey Huff for a minor leaguer today. The Orioles still stink, and for the sake of the state I live in, I hope the O's can get it together and actually get some real pitchers and have consistency. Even the Nats have ben more consistent at times than the Orioles this year...


Speaking of the Nats, they should start thinking about whether their gonna sign this draft pick... by that I mean they SHOULD sign him...
*The Nats signed Strasburg to the largest contract for a draft pick ever. 4 years as well. Good call Nats. Thanks for listening.


Finally, T.O. returns for limited practice. His toe.


New poll is up as well... Who will win the fewest games in the NFL? Just felt like asking. So feel free to vote and then comment on either the post tonight or the poll and explain why you said what you said. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment